And just like that, I went back to Qatar, during yet another layover. This one was totally random. While searching for flights to Hanoi, one of the options that made the most sense to me was to leave after work and have a layover in Doha. Honestly, it was by chance that I ended up there again. I had originally been looking at Oman, and I wanted so badly to have an excuse for a layover there. I even booked a 1-night hotel stay in Muscat, so convinced that I was going to be getting the chance to enter the country. But of course, I waited too long to book the flight. And by the time I looked again, the price difference was excessive. I could not justify paying so much extra just to get a glimpse into Oman. I had not imagined that I would be back in Doha so soon. In fact, I wanted my second visit to Doha to be longer than the first one. I really wished I would have been able to spend at least a couple of days there. But alas, fate decided that I was only meant to visit the city on another evening layover.

This time though, Doha was different. The electricity and energy I had felt in the air during my first visit was gone. In fact, dare I say, I found Doha to be a little dull this time around. Perhaps because the World Cup had just ended and the city was recovering from all the excitement. Or perhaps I was looking at things through a more traveled lens. In any case, while it was nice to once again walk around, something in me, and in the city, had changed.

Last time I visited Doha, I was able to take advantage of a free layover offered by Qatar Airways. So after booking the flights, I started to look again into the free layover program. This time, while randomly looking around on their website, I learned that the layover tour would cost money. Almost thirty dollars per person to be exact. I guess it had become so popular that the airline had decided to find a way to capitalize on it. Or maybe this was a way to curb the crowds. Nevertheless, I was excited to see how Doha had changed since last time, so I begrudgingly paid for the tour.

Of course, nothing went smoothly. You would think that after years of this program existing, there would be a well-established system inside of the airport to direct arriving passengers. Yet, that was not the case. Once again. I got off the plane, and the man directing passengers towards the exit, other terminals or immigration, had no idea what I was referring to. Though I had printed the voucher, he still did not know what layover program I was asking about. I spoke to no less than 10 different airport and airline employees, just trying to find the correct desk. The meetup time was approaching dangerously. I went through the security checkpoint 6 times because different employees inside and outside kept giving me contradicting information. Had I not already paid for the excursion, I probably would have just given up and sat inside of the airport waiting on my next flight. Instead, I ran all over the place with my hand luggage until finally one last employee got me to the layover desk.

The Al Wahda Arches, better known as the Qatar Arch or Gateway Arch on the Lusail expressway / Les Arches d’Al Wahda, mieux connues sous le nom de Qatar Arch ou Gateway Arch sur l’autoroute Lusail

When I got to the desk, the woman working looked at her watch and said I was cutting it close. She said it would be best to wait for the next tour, in a couple of hours. At that point, I was annoyed, and told her that if I waited for the next one, I would miss my flight. So she radioed for one of her colleagues, and the man magically appeared to whisk me away. He stated that the rest of the group was already on their way to the bus and that we had to rush. As we walked, he commented that I was walking really fast. I laughed. I naturally walk pretty fast, or so I was told many times. So asking me to walk faster usually leads to power-walking and borderline jogging.

The immigration line was short, and after getting my stamp, I was able to join the group. I fully expected that we would be immediately getting on the bus since supposedly I was running so late. However, we were asked to sit down in the arrivals hall for what felt like an eternity. The World Cup décor was everywhere, and the arrivals hall was busy.

Eventually, the airline employees introduced us to our guide, a short blonde woman. The woman had a slight accent that I initially could not place. She revealed that she was from Argentina and had moved to Doha a couple of years prior. We got on the bus and she gave us a quick rundown of the itinerary. I noticed that she did not mention the Pearl, and because it had been one of my favorite stops last time, I asked her about it. She replied that we would not have enough time to go there. I was super annoyed because it was included in the ticket (I had checked before booking, and again while on the bus). But I did not say anything further.

The Museum of Islamic Art located at the end of the Corniche in Doha / Le Musée d’Art Islamique situé au bout de la Corniche à Doha

So our itinerary would just include a brief stop at Dhow Harbour, and longer stops at Katara Cultural Village and Souq Waqif. I decided to try to make the most of it. The tour commentary was heavily focused on the World Cup, and the tour guide pointed out the different stadiums, metro stations and buildings that were built just for the month-long event. Surprisingly, there was almost no traffic at all that evening.

The first stop was brief, and I tried to get some good pictures, but that did not really pan out too well. As for our second stop, it felt rushed. The guide took us through Katara Cultural Village, pointing out interesting things and then gave us a time to meet at a central location. I think I would have enjoyed Katara Cultural Village if I was not on a time-crunch. There were several restaurants and shops around. But I did not wander too far off, worried that a busload of people would have to wait for me. I took some pictures by the beautiful fountain and just walked down the main strip. The bus and the guide did not reappear for over 20 minutes past the time she had given us. Myself and the other passengers even worried that we were at the wrong meetup spot and we did not have any contact information. Some of the guys on the tour even jogged to our initial drop-off site to find our bus, to no avail. The guide gave a brief apology when they finally appeared, then hurried us on the bus to get to the next stop.

We arrived at the souk, and I heard the others get really excited. I was also looking forward to it, as I wanted to see if anything had changed since the last time. Plus I really wanted to start feeling like purchasing this Doha City Tour ticket had been worth it. The souk was as crowded as ever. It was again my favorite part of the tour. The guide took us through the souk, giving us brief descriptions of some of what we observed, then she gave us almost an hour to eat, shop or just people-watch. I again purchased a few souvenirs and wandered around the shops. The tourists walking around looked a lot more diverse than the last time I had been there, and I was happy to note that. I took a few photos, then got back on the bus before all of the others. The guide gave us a brief survey to complete, and instead of the review I wanted to write in the beginning, I think I gave them a 4 out of 5. After all, I work in hospitality and I know how a lot of things can be outside of the workers’ control.

Going down to the tropical garden / Avant de descendre dans le jardin tropical

When we got dropped back off at the airport, I realized I had a few hours to kill before the flight to Hanoi. So, remembering that Hamad International has been ranked the second-best airport in the world (or best depending on which list you look at), I decided to walk around and explore. Honestly, this almost made me wish that I had not done the excursion. Seriously, that airport has it all. It has some of the best shops and restaurants around. There is also a spa, and the lounges are top-tier. I ended up in the indoor tropical garden and did not want to leave. The tropical garden has a beautiful water feature in the center. There are more than 25,000 plants from sustainable forests all around the world. It truly felt like being in an oasis. I do not remember hearing airport announcements there either, or if there were any, they did not disturb the tranquility of the space. The WiFi was spotty on my phone so I could not even call my loved ones back home. After taking a few pictures and immersing myself in the greenery, I reluctantly left to go find somewhere to sleep. I still think I should go back to Qatar, to at least see and experience it in the daytime, probably not through that same layover program though. Honestly, if I ever find myself back at the Hamad International Airport for a few hours in the evening, I think I will just stay inside and enjoy the airport amenities.

21 High street is considered the ultimate outdoor shopping destination in Katara Cultural Village, Qatar / 21 High street est considérée comme la destination de shopping en plein air par excellence dans le village culturel de Katara, au Qatar


At the Dhow Harbour stop / Le premier arrêt à Dhow Harbour

Et donc voilà, je suis retournée au Qatar, lors d’une autre escale. Cette fois-ci ce n’était pas vraiment ce que j’avais prévu. Lorsque je cherchais mes vols pour Hanoï, l’une des options qui m’avait semblé logique était de partir après le travail et de faire une escale à Doha. Honnêtement, c’est par hasard que je me suis retrouvée là-bas. Au départ, je pensais passer par Oman, et je voulais tellement avoir une excuse pour faire escale là-bas. J’ai même réservé un séjour d’une nuit dans un hôtel à Mascate, tellement j’étais convaincue que j’allais avoir la chance de visiter le pays. Mais bien sûr, j’ai attendu trop longtemps pour réserver le vol. Et quand j’ai regardé à nouveau, la différence de prix était excessive. Je ne pouvais pas justifier de payer autant juste pour avoir un aperçu d’Oman. Je n’avais pas imaginé que je serais de retour à Doha si tôt. En fait, je voulais que ma deuxième visite à Doha soit plus longue que la première. J’aurais vraiment aimé pouvoir y passer au moins quelques jours. Mais hélas, le destin a décidé que je ne devais visiter la ville que lors d’une autre escale en soirée.

Cette fois par contre, Doha était différente. L’électricité et l’énergie que j’avais ressenties dans l’air lors de ma première visite avaient disparu. J’oserais même dire que j’ai trouvé Doha un peu terne cette fois-ci. Peut-être parce que la Coupe du monde venait de se terminer et que la ville se remettait de toute l’agitation. Ou peut-être que je la regardais à travers des yeux qui ont vus beaucoup plus au fil des ans. En tout cas, bien qu’il était agréable de se promener à nouveau dans Doha, quelque chose en moi, et dans la ville même, avait changé.

La première fois que j’avais visité Doha, j’avais pu profiter d’une escale gratuite offerte par Qatar Airways. Donc, après avoir réservé les vols, j’ai commencé à chercher plus d’informations sur le programme d’escale gratuite. Cette fois, en regardant au hasard sur leur site Web, j’ai appris que l’escale coûterait. Près de trente dollars par personne pour être exact. Je suppose que c’était devenu si populaire que la compagnie aérienne avait décidé de trouver un moyen d’en tirer profit. Ou peut-être était-ce un moyen de freiner les foules. Néanmoins, j’étais curieuse de voir comment Doha avait changé depuis la dernière fois, alors j’ai payé à contrecœur.

Bien sûr, rien ne s’est passé comme prévu. On pourrait penser qu’après des années d’existence de ce programme, il y aurait un système bien établi à l’intérieur de l’aéroport pour diriger les passagers qui arrivent. Pourtant, ce n’était pas le cas. Encore une fois. Je suis descendue de l’avion et l’homme qui dirigeait les passagers vers la sortie, les autres terminaux ou l’immigration, n’avait aucune idée de ce à quoi je faisais référence. J’avais imprimé le reçu, mais il ne savait vraiment pas de quel programme d’escale je parlais. J’ai parlé à pas moins de 10 employés différents de l’aéroport et de la compagnie aérienne, essayant simplement de trouver le point de rencontre. L’heure du rendez-vous approchait dangereusement. J’ai passé 6 fois le contrôle de sécurité parce que différents employés à l’intérieur et à l’extérieur ne cessaient de me donner des informations contradictoires. Si je n’avais pas déjà payé pour l’excursion, j’aurais probablement abandonné et je me serais assise à l’intérieur de l’aéroport, attendant mon prochain vol. Au lieu de cela, j’ai couru dans tous les sens avec mon bagage à main jusqu’à ce qu’un dernier employé m’emmène finalement au bureau d’escale.

At the Souq Waqif / Dans le Souq Waqif

Quand je suis arrivée là, la femme qui travaillait a regardé sa montre et a dit qu’il était assez tard. Elle a dit qu’il valait mieux attendre le prochain départ, dans quelques heures. À ce moment-là, j’étais agacée et je lui ai dit que si j’attendais le prochain départ, je raterais mon prochain vol par sa faute. Elle a donc téléphoné à l’un de ses collègues, et l’homme est apparu comme par magie pour m’emmener à l’extérieur. Il a déclaré que le reste du groupe était déjà en route vers le bus et que nous devions nous dépêcher. Pendant que nous marchions, il a commenté que je marchais très vite. J’ai ri. Je marche naturellement assez vite, du moins c’est ce qu’on m’a dit à plusieurs reprises. Donc, me demander de marcher plus vite devient généralement de la marche rapide; c’est limite du jogging.

La ligne d’immigration était courte et après avoir obtenu mon tampon, j’ai pu rejoindre le groupe. Je m’attendais pleinement à ce que nous montions immédiatement dans le bus puisque j’étais soi-disant tellement en retard. Cependant, on nous a demandé de nous asseoir dans le hall des arrivées pendant ce qui nous a semblé une éternité. Le décor de la Coupe du monde était partout et le hall des arrivées était bondé.

Finalement, les employés de la compagnie aérienne nous ont présenté notre guide, une petite femme blonde. La femme avait un léger accent que j’avais du mal à reconnaître. Elle nous a révélé qu’elle était d’Argentine et qu’elle avait déménagé à Doha quelques années auparavant. Nous sommes montés dans le bus et elle nous a donné un bref aperçu de l’itinéraire. J’ai remarqué qu’elle n’avait pas cité The Pearl comme arrêt, et parce que c’était l’un de mes arrêts préférés la dernière fois, je lui ai posé des questions à ce sujet. Elle a répondu que nous n’aurions pas assez de temps pour y aller. Ça m’a ennuyé car c’était inclus dans le prix du billet (j’avais vérifié avant de réserver, et encore une fois dans le bus). Mais je n’ai rien dit.

Notre itinéraire ne comprendrait donc qu’un bref arrêt à Dhow Harbour et des arrêts plus longs au village culturel de Katara et au souk Waqif. J’allais devoir m’en contenter de toutes façons. Les commentaires du guide portaient beaucoup sur la Coupe du monde et notre guide a souligné les différents stades, stations de métro et bâtiments qui avaient été construits juste pour l’événement d’un mois. Étonnamment, il n’y avait presque pas d’embouteillage du tout ce soir-là.

Le premier arrêt a été bref et j’ai essayé de prendre de bonnes photos, mais cela ne s’est pas très bien passé. Quant à notre deuxième arrêt, il m’a semblé qu’on était bousculés pas le temps. La guide nous a fait visiter le village culturel de Katara, en soulignant des choses intéressantes, puis nous a annoncé une heure pour la rejoindre dans un lieu central. Je pense que j’aurais apprécié le village culturel de Katara si je n’étais pas pressée. Il y avait plusieurs restaurants et magasins. Mais je ne me suis pas trop éloignée, craignant qu’un bus rempli de personnes n’ait à m’attendre. J’ai pris quelques photos près de la jolie fontaine et j’ai juste marché le long de l’allée principale. Le bus et la guide ne sont pas réapparus, même plus de 30 minutes après l’heure qu’elle nous avait donnée. Les autres passagers et moi pensions même être au mauvais point de rencontre, et nous n’avions aucun moyen de contacter quiconque. Certains des hommes du groupe ont même couru jusqu’à l’endroit où nous étions descendus du bus pour voir s’il était encore là-bas, en vain. La guide s’est à peine excusé lorsqu’elle nous a finalement rejoints, puis nous a fait rapidement monter dans le bus pour nous rendre au prochain arrêt.

Nous sommes arrivés au souk, et j’ai entendu les autres devenir vraiment emballés à l’idée de visiter le souk. J’étais aussi impatiente, car je voulais voir si ça avait changé depuis la dernière fois. De plus, je voulais vraiment commencer à sentir qu’acheter ce billet pour visiter la ville de Doha en avait valu la peine. Le souk était aussi bondé que dans mes souvenirs. Ce fut encore une fois ma partie préférée de la visite guidée. La guide nous a fait visiter le souk, nous donnant de brèves descriptions de ce que nous observions, puis elle nous a donné près d’une heure pour manger, faire du shopping ou simplement flâner. J’ai de nouveau acheté quelques souvenirs et j’ai visité les stands. Les touristes qui se promenaient avaient l’air beaucoup plus variés que la dernière fois que j’y étais, et j’étais contente de le constater. J’ai pris quelques photos, puis je suis remontée dans le bus avant tous les autres. La guide nous a donné un questionnaire bref à remplir, et au lieu de la critique que je voulais écrire au début, je pense que je leur ai donné un 4 sur 5. Après tout, je travaille dans l’industrie de l’hôtellerie et du tourisme et je sais combien de choses sont hors du contrôle de simples employés.

Inside of the airport / Dans l’aéroport

Lorsque nous avons été déposés à l’aéroport, j’ai réalisé que j’avais quelques heures avant le vol pour Hanoï. Donc, me souvenant que Hamad International a été classé deuxième meilleur aéroport au monde (ou meilleur selon la liste que vous consultez), j’ai décidé de me promener et d’explorer. Honnêtement, cela m’a presque fait regretter d’avoir fait l’excursion. Sérieusement, cet aéroport a tout pour plaire. On y trouve quelques-uns des meilleurs magasins et restaurants. Il y a aussi un spa et les salons d’aéroport sont incomparables. Je suis arrivée dans le jardin tropical intérieur et je n’ai pas voulu laisser cet endroit. Le jardin tropical a une espèce de fontaine au centre. Il y a là plus de 25 000 plantes issues de forêts durables du monde entier. C’était vraiment comme être dans un oasis. Je ne me souviens pas non plus d’avoir entendu les annonces que l’on entend d’habitudes dans les aéroports là-bas. Ou s’il y en avait, elles n’ont pas dérangé la tranquillité de l’espace. Le WiFi ne fonctionnait pas bien sur mon téléphone, je ne pouvais même pas appeler mes proches à New York. Après avoir pris quelques photos et admiré la verdure, je suis partie à contrecœur pour aller trouver un endroit où dormir. Je pense toujours que je devrais retourner au Qatar, pour au moins voir la différence avant que le soleil ne se couche, mais probablement pas à travers ce même programme d’escale. Honnêtement, si jamais je me retrouve à l’aéroport international de Hamad pendant quelques heures un soir, je pense que je vais rester à l’intérieur et profiter de l’aéroport.

Leaving the Souq Waqif in Doha / En laissant le Souq Waqif à Doha

Spread the love - Share with your circle


  1. Good read!

  2. Must Read!

  3. Edward Veids says:

    Thanks +

  4. very good

  5. nothing special there

  6. very good

  7. Cool, I’ve been looking for this one for a long time

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *